Monday, October 8, 2012

Visual Art

It was incredibly difficult for me to pick three of my favorite pieces of visual art to post. I looked at everything from my favorite architecture, to famous tattoos, to impressionism and charcoal drawings. I just picked a few of my favorite artists of all time and looked through their collections. 
Here goes! 

Candy Cigarette- Sally Mann

This is the piece I wrote about in class. I am a huge admirer of Mann's work, and it inspires me on the daily. I am particularly fond of her collection "Immediate Family" in which she documents the childhood summer adventures of her three children, Emmet, Jessie and Virginia. She shoots black and white large format film and has incredibly unique and effective developing techniques. Her photos are controversial, raw and lovely- Check em out. 



Banksy

I discovered Banksy as an angst filled pre-teen, and he appealed to everything artistic and defiant inside of me. He remains one of my favorite artists to date, and is possibly one of the most famous anonymous artists of our time. His work, which appears overnight, is anti-war, anti-establishment, thought provoking and really freaking good. One of these days I'm going to go on a tour and visit his remaining work. 


Pawel's Back- Nan Goldin

Nan Goldin is a photographer well-known for her slightly jarring documentation of her life in New York in the early eighties. I love her work, and it makes me really uncomfortable in a good way. She hung out with performers, the transgendered and queer community, a lot of drug addicts, and people who suffer abuse. Her raw stills of these people are alarming, and capture such specific moments. My portfolio seems to have a similar thread to Goldin's- capturing friends, lovers, and the people I am inspired by. This photo iskind of unlike the rest of her stuff, in that it is very silent and peaceful, but the situation pops of the page in such an intimate way, you feel like you are there. Love it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment